Changing lives. One relationship at a time.
NEKYS JUMP Mentoring Program is a one-to-one, school-based mentoring program for youth (from 1st – 8th grade) for one hour a week of special one-on-one time. Since its inception 12 years ago, NEKYS JUMP Mentoring Program has matched over 120 youth with caring, adult mentors. Through the years we have observed many positive outcomes for the youth in mentoring matches:
- Increased self-confidence
- Improved academic performance
- Improved communication skills
- Improved sense of self-worth
There are four goals that the NEKYS JUMP Mentoring Program follows:
- To provide each youth with a caring, trained adult community member.
- To increase each youth’s participation in school.
- To promote academic success and achievement.
- To reduce the number of youth who engage in the use of alcohol, tobacco and other drugs.
Mentoring is giving only one short hour a week, but the positive effect it has on a young person’s life is immeasurable.” Dave Cowen, Mentor
I have been a mentor for almost eight years. When I first started I thought it was to benefit and help a child in need. But what I found out after a short time was that I benefited as well. It’s such a small sacrifice, one hour a week to give support and guidance to a young person and to receive so much in return.” Frances Flanagan, Mentor
I have had quite a few mentees ranging from Kindergarten to 8th grade and have made quite a few close relationships as a result. It is always special when the child comes on the day you are scheduled to meet; it shows he or she is excited to meet with you. I enjoy the relationships and how each child opens up when they get to know you.” Laurie Emmons